Saturday, March 19, 2005

In A Quiet Corner of Bangkok...

(Double-Click on Picture for Full-Size Display)


One lazy afternoon by the Klong (canal) in Bangkok... bucket full of bread in front, waiting for the fish to come up for their high tea...

Hello, dear readers, how's your weekend? :) I feel a bit poetic today, may be because I'm in such a good mood. The reason? I went to one quiet corner of Bangkok by the klong to relax in the afternoon breeze & release a lot of fish back to nature.

I am amazed myself that, despite being the dreadful summer month when the temperature is usually killing, it was such a pleasant afternoon!

May be it's the happy feeling of doing good things and be kind to animals is giving me such high? I don't know. But it's unusual for a migraine-prone person like me to survive Bangkok's summer afternoon outdoor without whining!

This temple I went is located in Soi Onnuch 45. It is called Wat Kajorn Siri. It has quite an impressive history, being built in 1849 by Cambodian immigrants. The temple building and ground may look a bit run down but it's relatively clean and the people friendly.

Today, the area has a large Muslim population but it still thrives on in peace. In fact, just across the klong to the far end direction of this picture there is a mosque. It's beautiful to see Thai people co-exist together in peace. I swear that in this lazy afternoon, savoring the river breeze and the green scenery so unlike Bangkok suburb, I felt like I was transported back in time. To the good old days when, as my favorite jazz song says, the living is easy.

Life by the klong in Thailand has its own charm. You can just sit there and learn so much of the local people and culture. An older man ride by quietly in his own boat, taking his time. Yes, there is no need to hurry if you live in this land of abundance.

Now and then there would be a "water taxi" whirling by, creating waves as it passed. Fish would then splash around happily to play with the waves. For a moment they forgot their continuous feeding by the people visiting the temple. Their life is as carefree as it can be for a Metropolitan fish! Then they lovingly made their way back to the feeding area, entertaining all of us who chose to share this quiet moment in the afternoon with them.

I'll try to make time for more visits to the temple. It's around 30 min from where I live. Now and then, I think, people need to get back to nature, to learn from the small creatures the meaning of life. Today, I learned that giving life back to these 135 fish is a really wonderful feeling. There is this little bonding between me and the fish when we were making the way from the market to the klong. And the message is clear--make the most out of your present moment. You'd never know when it will be your last.... Posted by Hello

No comments: